Mountain Lodge – Green & Wicks
Sketch from the Syracuse Sunday Herald, “Adirondack League Club,” January 8, 1893, p. 2.
Adirondack League Club Early History Transcribed in 2009
by Town of Webb Historian Peg Masters
1886 – Utica Weekly Herald, “Rod and Gun,” November 9, 1886, p. 12. “Black bears are unusually numerous in the Adirondack region this fall. Charles A. Nicholson of Utica, W. S. Wicks of Trenton and Howard Brown of Brookline, Mass. are about to erect a handsome and commodious log camp at Big Rock Bay, Jock’s Lake. A. D. Barber, Jr., of this city has erected the frame for his new hotel on Jock’s Lake in the North Woods.
1890 – Watertown Times, “To Save The Great Forests,” September 4, 1890, p. 2. “The history of the project of saving the Adirondack forests is exceedingly interesting. With that object in view, the Adirondack Park Association was quietly formed in New York City in April last. . . . This association came into being because of the sealed conviction that the forestry commission has proved a failure, says the New York Press; that it has suffered inroads to be made into the heart of the Adirondacks, which has effected serious injury and threatened still greater; that it has promoted no serious measures to promote the planting of trees; that it has not property resisted the encroachments of shingle men and charcoal burners; that it had allowed the encroachment of railroads; that in fact the commission was a useless body.
1892 – Utica Morning Herald, “Personal,” March 25, 1892, p. 6. “Architect W. S. Wicks of Buffalo has returned from Little Moose lake, where he has been locating a new club house for the Adirondack league club, to cost from $15,000 to $20,000.”
1893 – Syracuse Sunday Herald, “Adirondack League Club” – from the NY Mail and Express, January 8, 1893, p. 2. “The Adirondack League Club has just completed negotiation by which it accrues absolute title to the club house ‘Forest Lodge’ on Honnedaga or Jock’s Lake in Herkimer County together with all the buildings and, furniture, boats, camps, and other equipment formerly owned by A. D. Barber. . . . The club has two handsome and perfectly equipped club homes on its preserve, the new house on Little Moose Lake having been just completed at a cost of nearly $30,000.
1893 – New York Tribune, “Adirondack League Clubhouse,” February 19, 1893, p. 22. “The new clubhouse of the Adirondack League Club on Little Moose Lake, Herkimer County, N. Y., has been finished at a cost of over $25,000. . . The clubhouse will accommodate over 100 people and is tastefully as well as substantially constructed. The pride of the architect is the great hall in the centre of the building, 50×35 feet, at one end of which is a huge fireplace capable of burning logs six feet in length. At the other end, or southern extremity of the preserve, twenty-five miles away from Mountain Lodge, is Forest Lodge, the club’s other house on Honnedaga Lake . . . and accommodates about seventy-five people. Honnedaga, or ‘Jock’s’ Lake, is six miles long. . . . Honnedaga is the Indian name of the lake signifying ‘clear water.” On many old maps it is simply designated ‘Transparent Lake.’
This is Rabbitwild –
A Wicks camp designed and built for daughter Ruth & family on Jocks Lake at the Adirondack League Club.
The original story of Rabbitwild written by Wicks, in his spare time, as a story for Ruth in 1896,
and now waiting to be published.
(All rights reserved, duplication of original content strictly forbidden without consent of owner.)