Mountain Lodge – New Club House on Moose Lake – Green & Wicks Architects – Buffalo, New York.
When the “Mountain Lodge”, designed by William S. Wicks opened in 1894, the Adirondack League Club owned 79,172 acres of land in Herkimer and Hamilton counties including twenty lakes and ponds.
Above content courtesy of the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake, New York
From Adirondack League Club Early History – transcribed in 2009 by Town of Webb Historian Peg Masters:
1892 – Utica Morning Herald, “Personal,” March 25, 1892, p. 6
“Architect W.S. Wicks of Buffalo has returned from Little Moose lake, where he has been locating a new club house for the Adirondack League Club, to cost from $15,000 to $20,000.”
1893 – New York Tribune, “Adirondack League Clubhouse,” February 19, 1893 p. 22.
” The new clubhouse of The adirondack League Club on little Moose Lake, Herkimer County, N.Y. has been finished at a cost of over $25,000 … the clubhouse will accommodate over 100 people and is tastefully as well as substantially constructed. The pride of the architectis the great hall in the centre of the building, 50X35 feet, at one end of which is a huge fireplace capable of burning logs six feet in length. At the other end, or southern extremity of the preserve, twenty-five miles away from Mountain Lodge, is Forest Lodge, the club’s other house on Honnedaga Lake … and accommodates about seventy-five people. Honnedaga, or ‘Jock’s’ Lake is six miles long … Honnedaga is the Indian name of the lake signifying ‘clear water.” On many old maps it is simply designated ‘Transparent Lake.’
The preserve of the Adirondack League Club is a vast tract in Hamilton and Herkimer counties, containing about 175,000 acres-an area eight times as large as Manhatten Island and much larger than Statan Island … It is practically a virgin forest, magnificently wooded, the merchantable timber being worth alone, on the stump, according to the estimate Professor Fernow of the United States Forestry Bureau, over $1,000,000. The club derives a revenue of $30,000 a year from the removal of the spruce about twelve inches in diameter.”